[Linux-cluster] umount failed - device is busy

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Thu May 4 23:25:59 UTC 2006

Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

>> Lon Hohberger wrote:

>>> Drat.
>>>
>>> Nfsd is the most likely candidate for holding the reference.
>>> Unfortunately, this is not something I can track down; you will have to
>>> either file a support request and/or a Bugzilla.  When you get a chance,
>>> you should definitely try stopping nfsd and seeing if that clears the
>>> mystery references (allowing you to unmount).  If the problem comes from
>>> nfsd, it should not be terribly difficult to track down.
>>>
>>> Also, you should not need to recompile your kernel to probe all the LUNs
>>> per device; just edit /etc/modules.conf:
>>>
>>> options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=128
>>>
>>> ... then run mkinitrd to rebuild the initrd image.
>>>
>>> -- Lon
>>

>> Next maintenance window is 4 weeks away, so I won't be able to test
>> the nfsd hypothesis anytime soon.  In the meantime, I'll file a
>> support request.  I'll keep you posted.
>>
>> At least the unexpected STONITH confirms that the failover still works.
>>
>> The /etc/modules.conf tip is a big time saver.  Rebuilding the modules
>> takes forever.
>>
>> Thanks, Lon.
>>
>> Herta
>

> Apologies for not updating this sooner.  (Thanks for remindeing me, Owen.)
>
> During a later maintenance window, I shut down the cluster services, but
> it wasn't until I stopped the nfsd, that the filesystems could actually
> be unmounted, which seems to confirm Lon's theory about nfsd being the
> likely candidate for holding the reference.
>
> I found a note elsewhere on the web where someone worked around the
> problem by stopping nfsd, stopping the service, restarting nfsd, and
> relocating the service.  Disadvantage being that all nfs services
> experience a minor interrupt at the time.
>
> Anyway, my problem disappeared during the latest maintenance window.
> Both nfs-utils and clumanager were updated (nfs-utils-1.0.6-42EL ->
> nfs-utils-1.0.6-43EL, clumanager-1.2.28-1 -> clumanager-1.2.31-1), so
> I'm not 100% sure which of the two fixed it, and curious though I am, I
> simply don't have the time to start reading the code.  If anyone has
> further insights, I'd love to read about it, though.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

Someone reported off line that they are experiencing the same problem
while running the same versions we currently are.

So just for completeness sake: expecting problems, I also upped the
clumanager log levels during the last maintenance window.  They are now at:
    clumembd   loglevel="6"
    cluquorumd loglevel="6"
    clurmtabd  loglevel="7"
    clusvcmgrd loglevel="6"
    clulockd   loglevel="6"

Come to think of it, I probably loosened the log levels during the
maintenance window when our problems began (I wanted to reduce the size
of the logs).  Not sure how - or even if - this might affect things, though.

Kind regards,

Herta