[Linux-cluster] GFS and samba problem, again

Abhijith Das adas at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 19:56:29 UTC 2006

sandra-llistes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I sent a mail a few days ago to this list related with GFS+samba
> problems.
>
> Since the, we have installed a sepparated test environment also with
> two linux servers where we  have tested a samba server with an
> exported share in GFS. The share is read-only and only one server is
> exporting it.
>
> When we try to access from a single windows client it works fine, but
> when we try to access to the same file from 2 or more windows clients
> simoultaneously, windows hangs and samba also does. This seems not to
> happen with concurrent access to different files or with linux clients.
>
> We've also tested to export the same share without GFS and in this
> case it works fine.
>
> It seems to be a locking problem with samba, GFS and windows clients.
> Does any of you have experienced similar problems? Do you have any
> suggestion about this?
>
> Following is the share configuration in smb.conf:
>
> [public]
>   comment         = ShareGFS
>   path            = /public
>   writeable       = No
>   read only       = Yes
>   write list      = @admsamba
>   force group     = admsamba
>   create mask     = 0775
>   directory mask  = 0775
>   oplocks         = No
>   locking = Yes
>   strict locking = Yes
> # I proved with locking/Strick locking=Yes and No. Always happens the
> same problem
>
> I attach some samba logs (Level 3).
> Software Versions:
>     Fedora 5
>     Samba 3.0.23
>     GFS  6.1.5
>     kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Sandra Hernandez

Hi Sandra,
I'm not very familiar with the locking of samba, but I did try the
scenario you described on my test cluster. I'm unable to reproduce your
problem. I have an identical smb.conf as you've pasted above. Accessing
(reading a txt file, or playing a video clip) from two windows clients
simultaneously works just fine without any glitches.
If I understood it right, the test case you describe has one node in a
cluster exporting a single samba share over a GFS filesystem and you're
using multiple windows clients to access the same file in this share.
This is a fairly basic operation IMO and it is quite odd that you should
see this failure. Maybe you can try the CVS version of cluster suite
(cvs -d :pserver:cvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/cluster checkout -r RHEL4
cluster) to see if the problem persists. Also, I'd be interested in
knowing the behavior when you mount GFS on only one node (the one that's
exporting) and also when you use GFS with lock_nolock on a standalone
machine.
Thanks,
--Abhi