[Linux-cluster] GFS and the Dell pv220s or iSCSI

Alan Wood chekov at ucla.edu
Thu Sep 14 10:01:50 UTC 2006

sorry I've been away from the list and only getting to this 1-month old
thread now...

Brendan, I have a pv220s which I used for a GFS cluster last year with
disasterous consequences.  Performance was terrible for multiple concurrent
users (one of the chief thing you are worried about in selecting SCSI
over SATA in the first place).  In addition, the support I got from Dell,
while attentive, ended after 3 months with "we do not support using the
pv220s in an active-active linux cluster".  This is after I had reverted
out of GFS and was using linux-ha to do failover and getting SCSI
reservation errors which led to data loss...

I have since moved on to iSCSI as a few people on the list suggested you
do.  Instead of the Dell/EMC box most people were talking about I went with
a Promise vtrak M300i.  as far as I could see there were only a couple of
minor differences and the promise box was less than half the price when
fully stocked with SATA drives (because Dell totally rips you off on the
price of the drives).  It supports SATA II and NCQ.
so far performance has been just as good as with the pv220s in clustered
config (I am only using 10K drives in the 220 though).  I have just bought
a couple of Qlogic HBAs (in the US $500 instead of the $2K someone
mentioned in Brazil) but have yet to test them.  I also bought a second
enclosure and am hoping to use lvm mirroring and multipathing as soon as
its good to go in order to have full redundancy:
http://www.redhat.com/f/summitfiles/presentation/May31/Clustering%20and%20Storage/StorageUninterrupted.pdf

btw, HP does offer an iSCSI head unit that you can then daisy-chain SCSI or
SATA enclosures off of -- so if you really want SCSI disks that would be an
option:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/msa1510i/index.html
I haven't tested it (and last I heard HP only officially supported it in
Windows) but if anyone else on the list has experience with it I'd be
curious to hear it.

now that I have a 10gig switch available to me I'm also curious to try out
a 10gig iSCSI enclosure but haven't seen any on the market...
-alan