[Linux-cluster] cluster.conf using brocade

isplist at logicore.net isplist at logicore.net
Thu Sep 14 15:34:30 UTC 2006

>> Since hubs are much cheaper than switches, and from the brocade's point of
>> view, it can see unique ports even on the hub... would it not be worth
>> adding this functionality to the fencing functions?

> Can you try to turn off a single port of that hub via the brocade
> switch? I doubt that there is any method in the brocade switch to do
> that, but I could be wrong here.

Right, the brocade would need to know how to fence an external port but my
point is that it can see unique port numbers for external ports. As such, it
made me wonder if there might be a way for the brocade to fence just that
port. That way, we could use cheaper hub's as external devices over very large
switches which cost $$$$.

> Also if the hub is manageable there might be a way to disable certain
> ports directly at the hub.

I don't have enough experience with the switches to know if I can do these
things. It would appear that one could, like I said, the switch does see all
external ports as unique numbers.

> If neither works, you'll need to think of a different setup for SAN
> fencing, like putting the nodes onto their own FC-switch, or consider
> power fencing via a network manageable pdu or ups.

My next step is a McData switch. However, I would like to try using other
linux machines first but have yet to mess with GNBD.

Mike