[Linux-cluster] General FC Question

Kevin Anderson kanderso at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 07:19:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 10:17 -0500, isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> After adding storage, my cluster comes up with different /dev/sda, /dev/sdb,
> etc settings. My initial device now comes up as sdc when it used to be sda.
>
> Is there some way of allowing GFS to see the storage in some way that it can
> know which device is which when I add a new one or remove one, etc?

You should be using lvm2 and lvm2_cluster to handle this issue.  LVM2
handles the name changing of the device on reboot.  This often happens
depending on the scan order for the devices.  By using a volume manager,
you make these changes transparent.  You also have the advantage of not
being tied to single devices, but able to concatenate or stripe your
filesystem across multiple devices.  You must also use lvm2-cluster to
ensure any changes you make to the volume information is consistent
across the cluster.