[Linux-cluster] Piranha question: Running client on a real server hangs

Brooks, Jody jody.brooks at nasa.gov
Tue Apr 24 19:32:52 UTC 2007

I have a direct-routed Piranha/LVS cluster that I would like to load
balance between real servers svr1 and svr2.  As a test I'm using the
telnet service.  For my setup, I'm using WRR, no load monitoring right
now, direct-route, weights of 1 on both svr1 and svr2, using virtual ip
address of test_vip.  Also have I have ip_forward turned on on my router
machine (say it's on host rtr1). Kernel: "2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri
Feb 16 17:17:21 EST 2007". I also have an iptables rule in the nat
table, PREROUTING chain for my telnet service and test_vip on both real
servers saying to "REDIRECT".

If I get on another machine, say client1, and telnet to test_vip,
everything works fine ... meaning each subsequent connection goes to the
next server in the cluster: svr1, svr2, svr1, svr2, ...

However, if I run my telnet client from one of my real servers, say svr2
connecting to my service's virtual IP, test_vip, I will get connected to
the other real server (svr1) fine when the round-robin schedule says I
should go there, but when the schedule points me back to my host (svr2),
my connection hangs.  ipvsadm -l reports that a connection did go
through the ipvs tables, but it does not connect.

Same thing will happen if I start from svr1.... Works to svr2, but hangs
trying to come back to svr1, the source machine.

Bottom line: it works if client is run from non-real-server machines,
and half the time if client is run from a real server machine but the
other half of the time (when redirected to itself), it hangs. (I
recognize "half" is because I just have 2 real servers.)

Any clues as to why it won't work consistently when balanced back to
itself?

(Extra note: I say it works from non-real-server machines... not
completely true: doesn't work from the router machine, rtr1, as that
always goes back to itself, rtr1, ignoring the ipvs tables apparently as
ipvsadm -l never shows the connection in its statistics... Apparently
the virtual IP address being local short-circuits the ipvs table
operations).

TIA.