[Linux-cluster] Piranha question: Running client on a real server hangs

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 15:03:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:32:52PM -0500, Brooks, Jody wrote:
> Bottom line: it works if client is run from non-real-server machines,
> and half the time if client is run from a real server machine but the
> other half of the time (when redirected to itself), it hangs. (I
> recognize "half" is because I just have 2 real servers.)

> Any clues as to why it won't work consistently when balanced back to
> itself?

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-DR.html#realserver_as_client_in_LVS-DR

I'm not sure whether or not it can be done without any problems.  Are
you using the redirect bits like in "method #2", here:

http://people.redhat.com/lhh/piranha-direct-routing-howto.txt

?

If so, if you used the other method, connections from the LVS real
servers would simply connect locally.  It would always work - but not be
load-balanced via the director.

> (Extra note: I say it works from non-real-server machines... not
> completely true: doesn't work from the router machine, rtr1, as that
> always goes back to itself, rtr1, ignoring the ipvs tables apparently as
> ipvsadm -l never shows the connection in its statistics... Apparently
> the virtual IP address being local short-circuits the ipvs table
> operations).

Correct.

-- Lon