[Linux-cluster] IPv6 cluster addresses are "tentative" (for two seconds)

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Mon Aug 13 15:50:42 UTC 2007

Hi,

When using IPv6 addresses in the cluster configuration, I see that
these are labaled "tentative" ("ip addr list" output) in the first
two seconds when the service script runs.

This appears to prohibit programs from binding to these addresses,
so I need to add a sleep (or something more sophisticated, like a
loop that looks when this address is not "tentative" anymore) in
my cluster service script: then it seems to work fine.

Is this the only solution or are there more sophisticated (and better)
solutions possible?

Does the same delay (w.r.t. availability) also apply to the normal
IPv6 network config scripts ("ifup-ipv6") or is this problem specific
to the cluster suite (if yes, should the cluster suite be adapted)?

B.t.w., this is on RHEL 5.0.

Thanks,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>