[Linux-cluster] with gfs2, permission denied on first attempt to run an executable

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Dec 12 19:21:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:58 -0500, Ken Roser wrote:
> The problem always occurs when I do this:
>
> $ umount /storage2; mount /dev/emcpowerc1 /storage2;  /storage2/program
> bash: /storage2/program: Permission denied
> $
>
> If I do:
> umount /storage2;mount /dev/emcpowerc1 /storage2; strace /storage2/program
>
> I get a very long strace output AND the program does run, thus the
> strace doesn't show where the problem is.

Check the permissions on /storage2/program via "ls -l /storage2/program"
and make sure the execute bit is set for the user you're trying to run
it as.  Bash is telling you it's not an executable file.  strace doesn't
check that--it looks at the "magic number" in the file and sees it as an
executable program and runs it.

> Shawn Hood wrote:
> > Try running it along with an strace.  Compare the results from the
> > first and second attempts.
> >
> > Shawn
> >
> > On Dec 12, 2007 1:09 PM, Ken Roser <fedora at resork.sent.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm running a two cluster system with both nodes RHEL 5.1.  I have
> >> shared gfs2 filesystems on a SAN storage device.
> >>
> >> Everything seems to work except for the first time I attempt to run an
> >> executable on one of the gfs2 filesystems.  The first time I get
> >> "permission denied", but all subsequent attempts work as expected.  If I
> >> unmount and mount the filesystem, again the "permission denied" problem
> >> returns just for the first time I try to execute the file.
> >>
> >> I'm using lock_dlm with 4 journals.  Is there anything I can
> >> check/change to diagnose this problem.  I see no message in
> >> /var/log/messages corresponding to the "permission denied" problem.
> >>
> >> --

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -