[Linux-cluster] GFS1 from cvs HEAD

Benoit DUFFAU benoit.duffau at devoteam.com
Wed Feb 7 08:59:33 UTC 2007

Le mardi 06 février 2007 à 10:14 -0600, David Teigland a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:35:26PM -0800, Brandon Lamb wrote:
> > On 2/5/07, Kenji Wakamiya <wkenji at labs.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are you stuck with kernel 2.6.9 if you need stable gfs (v1)?
>
> No, GFS1 is very much alive and current and probably will be for a long
> time.  GFS1 will be available on RHEL5 (based on 2.6.18+) just as it was
> on RHEL4.  That GFS1 code comes from the RHEL5 cvs branch in the cluster
> tree.  If you're not using RHEL, GFS1 is also being maintained for recent
> upstream kernels in the STABLE and HEAD cvs branches.
>
> So, there are 4 versions of GFS1 that are currently being maintained:
>
> cluster-infrastructure-v1 (cman-kernel):
>
> 1. RHEL4 kernels		(cvs RHEL4 branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> 2. recent upstream kernels	(cvs STABLE branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
>
> cluster-infrastructure-v2 (openais):
>
> 3. RHEL5 kernels		(cvs RHEL5 branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> 4. recent upstream kernels	(cvs HEAD, cluster/gfs-kernel)

I'm very interested in #4 but the doc/usage.txt focuses on GFS2, i don't
see how i could get cvs HEAD GFS1 running with the new architecture ...

I found commented lines in the configure and Makefile, i uncommented
them, after few compile issues against my 2.6.19.2 i get a gfs.ko module

i try to modprobe it and i have those errors :

gfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_read
gfs: Unknown symbol __generic_file_aio_read
gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_unmount_lockproto
gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_withdraw_lockproto
gfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_write_nolock
gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_mount_lockproto

the problem is that i already modproded dlm and lock_dlm before probing
gfs... (i even probed gfs2 :) )

other problem is : even if i had succeeded in modprobing gfs module,
what do i have to do next ? ccsd -X ; cman_tool join ; groupd ; fenced ;
fence_tool join ; dlm_controld ; gfs_controld ? and using mkfs_gfs,
mount.gfs ...

If someone has already installed GFS1 from CVS HEAD, i'd be glad to see
a quick and dirty howto :)

Regards,

Benoit DUFFAU

Combining consulting and technology solutions offers enables Devoteam
to provide its customers with independent advice and effective solutions
that meet their strategic objectives (IT performance and optimisation)
in complementary areas: networks, systems infrastructure, security
and e-business applications.
Created in 1995, Devoteam achieved in 2005 a turnover of 199 million euros
and an operating margin of 7%. The group counts 2,400 employees through
sixteen countries in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
Listed on Euronext (Eurolist B compartment) since October 28, 1999.
Part of the Nexteconomy, CAC SMALL 90, IT CAC 50, SBF 250 index of
Euronext Paris
ISIN: FR 000007379 3, Reuters: DVTM.LM, Bloomberg: DEVO FP