[Linux-cluster] GFS1 from cvs HEAD

David Teigland teigland at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 15:29:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 09:59:33AM +0100, Benoit DUFFAU wrote:
> Le mardi 06 f?vrier 2007 ? 10:14 -0600, David Teigland a ?crit :
> > On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 10:35:26PM -0800, Brandon Lamb wrote:
> > > On 2/5/07, Kenji Wakamiya <wkenji at labs.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you stuck with kernel 2.6.9 if you need stable gfs (v1)?
> >
> > No, GFS1 is very much alive and current and probably will be for a long
> > time.  GFS1 will be available on RHEL5 (based on 2.6.18+) just as it was
> > on RHEL4.  That GFS1 code comes from the RHEL5 cvs branch in the cluster
> > tree.  If you're not using RHEL, GFS1 is also being maintained for recent
> > upstream kernels in the STABLE and HEAD cvs branches.
> >
> > So, there are 4 versions of GFS1 that are currently being maintained:
> >
> > cluster-infrastructure-v1 (cman-kernel):
> >
> > 1. RHEL4 kernels		(cvs RHEL4 branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> > 2. recent upstream kernels	(cvs STABLE branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> >
> > cluster-infrastructure-v2 (openais):
> >
> > 3. RHEL5 kernels		(cvs RHEL5 branch, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> > 4. recent upstream kernels	(cvs HEAD, cluster/gfs-kernel)
> >

> I'm very interested in #4 but the doc/usage.txt focuses on GFS2, i don't
> see how i could get cvs HEAD GFS1 running with the new architecture ...
>
> I found commented lines in the configure and Makefile, i uncommented
> them, after few compile issues against my 2.6.19.2 i get a gfs.ko module
>
> i try to modprobe it and i have those errors :
>
> gfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_read
> gfs: Unknown symbol __generic_file_aio_read
> gfs: Unknown symbol generic_file_write_nolock

Bob recently checked some gfs1 changes into cvs head to make it work on
2.6.20 -- these should go away with that update.

> gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_unmount_lockproto
> gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_withdraw_lockproto
> gfs: Unknown symbol gfs2_mount_lockproto

GFS1 uses the lockproto stuff in GFS2 to connect with the lock modules.
You need to add EXPORT_SYMBOL's for these three functions to
fs/gfs2/locking.c and recompile gfs2.  (My attempts to add these exports
upstream have been rejected.)

> the problem is that i already modproded dlm and lock_dlm before probing
> gfs... (i even probed gfs2 :) )

GFS1 uses dlm, lock_dlm and gfs2 from the upstream kernels.

> other problem is : even if i had succeeded in modprobing gfs module,
> what do i have to do next ? ccsd -X ; cman_tool join ; groupd ; fenced ;
> fence_tool join ; dlm_controld ; gfs_controld ? and using mkfs_gfs,
> mount.gfs ...

Yes, the same steps as using GFS2.

Dave