[Linux-cluster] GFS+EXT3 via NFS?

Kovacs, Corey J. cjk at techma.com
Thu Jan 11 18:53:34 UTC 2007

We have a 5 node cluster that is exporting several GFS and EXT3 filesystems
distributed among 5 individual services each with it's own failover group
etc. For the most part, things work fine. However, sometimes when we move
these services around, the node that recieves the service doesn't re-export
the filesystems and clients get stale handles until we manually execute
"exportfs -ra" to clear this up.

Right now each NFS service exports both GFS and EXT3 filesystems
concurrently. There is some thought about seperating the filesystems so that
a service only exports GFS OR EXT3, buit not both. We'd like some input
though to see if this might really be the problem, or maybe something along
these lines etc.

My "gut" feeling is that since a service is exporting a GFS filesystem, there
may be a built in assumption that the filesystem is exported via /etc/exports
and that the only thing transitioning is the IP address as per the unofficial
NFS cookbook.

The cluster is RHEL4.4.2 and the associated cluster/gfs packages. We have a
patched kernel based on the patches for the bnx2 driver which are the only
changes to the kernel which also happens to keep it from crashing :) Our
hardware is HP DL360-G5 machines connected to an EVA8000 SAN via qlogic FC
cards.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Corey Kovacs