[Linux-cluster] GFS+EXT3 via NFS?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 14:29:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 13:53 -0500, Kovacs, Corey J. wrote:
> We have a 5 node cluster that is exporting several GFS and EXT3
> filesystems distributed among 5 individual services each with it's own
> failover group etc. For the most part, things work fine. However,
> sometimes when we move these services around, the node that recieves
> the service doesn't re-export the filesystems and clients get stale
> handles until we manually execute "exportfs -ra" to clear this up.

> Right now each NFS service exports both GFS and EXT3 filesystems
> concurrently. There is some thought about seperating the filesystems
> so that a service only exports GFS OR EXT3, buit not both. We'd like
> some input though to see if this might really be the problem, or maybe
> something along these lines etc.
>
> My "gut" feeling is that since a service is exporting a GFS
> filesystem, there may be a built in assumption that the filesystem is
> exported via /etc/exports and that the only thing transitioning is the
> IP address as per the unofficial NFS cookbook.

You can do this with GFS, but not ext3.  It works with GFS because GFS
can be mounted on all nodes - and exported from all nodes - at the same
time.

You'll either need to add a script to call 'exporfs -ra' to the service
after the ext3 file system is mounted or use cluster-managed NFS
exports.

Both will work with cluster-managed NFS exports, but only GFS can really
use /etc/exports.

( being able to look at your cluster config would help... ;) )

-- Lon