[Linux-cluster] cluster version identification:how?

krishnamurthi G kri_thi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 07:02:31 UTC 2007

Hi Lon/Rajesh,

Thanks for the response. Earlier I thought RHEL release no. is directly mapped to cluster version and hence I was reading release from /etc/redhat-erlease file and get cluster specific commands to get cluster info. e.g.

RHEL 2.1    "/sbin/cluadmin -- cluster status"
RHEL 3.0    "/usr/sbin/clustat"

But I noticed that RHEL 3.0 could have cluster setup where  "/sbin/cluadmin -- cluster status" works. ( Where my code fails :-( ).
So now I need to find a way to detect cluster version and use corresponding cluster commands.

Rajesh has given a pointer to detect version For RHEL 2.1 and 3.0 run "rpm -qa |grep clumanager" and for rhel4.0 use ccs,cman,fence independent rpms to find the version. ( Rajesh which is the appropriate command to find version for RHEL4.0 ?)

m/c 1:
# rpm -qa |grep clumanager
clumanager-1.0.11-1
# rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-3AS-13.5.1
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)
# ls -l /sbin/cluadmin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       533296 Apr 17  2002 /sbin/cluadmin

m/c 2:
# rpm -qa |grep clumanager
clumanager-1.2.3-1
# rpm -q redhat-release
redhat-release-3AS-1
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)
# ls -l /sbin/cluadmin
ls: /sbin/cluadmin: No such file or directory
# ls -l /usr/sbin/clustat
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        56128 Oct  6  2003 /usr/sbin/clustat

Do I need to consider second bit for cluster release? (e.g 2 in clumanager-1.2.3-1)
Thanks friends for your help.

Have a nice day !
- Krishna