[Linux-cluster] Summit kernel and GFS

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Wed Jan 24 09:56:17 UTC 2007

isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> I'm installing an IBM x440 system which I'd like to have GFS on. I am reading
> that I need to use the Summit kernel in order to gain full access to the 8
> CPU's.
>
> Is there a Summit/GFS kernel version or am I running into something?
>
> Mike

Do you have a URL to the docs? Do the docs say which version of RHEL you
need to install?

The Summit kernel was part of RHEL 2.1 (e.g. RHEL 2.1 update 6 came with
  a package kernel-summit-2.4.9-e.57.i686.rpm). The bits in the kernel
that made the Summit-class systems (x44[x]) special, were folded into
the regular kernels in RHEL 3 and onwards

(my guess is those are some really old docs. you won't be running GFS on
  RHEL 2.1, since that old version of GFS has been withdrawn from
marketing mid lastyear).

Riaan