[Linux-cluster] Starting a cluster - Quorum Numbers

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Wed Jan 24 19:50:27 UTC 2007

You must achieve quorum before the cluster services are enabled.  That
means 1/2 of your machines listed in cluster.conf +1 must come up.

After that, if you do a 'cman_tool leave remove' on the machines you
don't need, you should be able to go down as low as you want.  (I think
there is a way to make the cman initscript do this automatically...  I
also think you can specify a node count or quorum number in
cluster.conf to control when it's allowed to start the service - but
this last one might be unlikely, given that it could lead to
split-brain.)

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will expand on this.

  brassow