[Linux-cluster] Diskless Shared-Root GFS/Cluster

Schaefer Christian Christian.Schaefer2 at messe-muenchen.de
Wed Jan 31 20:33:14 UTC 2007

Hello Tom,

>From my point ov view, the shared-root technology has several advantages compared with traditional approaches. And in my eyes it is worth beeing at the mercy of this "devastating problem" :).

As I learned about the shared root environment I was also a little bit confused, if this is really working as we migrated our webserver farm in 2005. But the last 2 years taught me, that it really works, and it really works good. To give you an idea of what we are doing: we are hosting about 70 different websites and applications such as shops and several backends with about 2.6 mio page impressions every month. The numbers tend to grow fast...

Another positiv aspect is administration: Imaging you only have to change a configuration file one time, not 6 or 10 times. Or backup can be achieved by tar'ing one single filesystem....

Yust ask the guys at atix.de, they can surely tell the story better than me abd know the technical aspects at a more detailed way than me.

Best Regards,

Christian Schäfer
System Engineer