[Linux-cluster] avoiding 2 Node Fencing shootout

Chris Harms chris at cmiware.com
Tue Jun 19 22:23:45 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Setup:

Cluster Suite 5
2 Nodes each fenced by DRAC card over network interface. Flagged as two
node in cluster.conf

<cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>

As a test, I unplugged one node (Node A) from the network.  The
remaining node (Node B) attempted to fence it, but failed (no network
access) and never assumed the services.  Plugging in Node A a gain
induced each to fence the other.  Something similar happens when a node
is rebooted manually (shutdown -r now).

How does one best combat this?  I've seen reference to adding a ping
node but no actual documentation on how to do it.

Thanks,
Chris