[Linux-cluster] Diskless Quorum Disk

Chris Harms chris at cmiware.com
Wed Jun 20 22:57:05 UTC 2007

My nodes were set to "quorum=1 two_node=1" and fenced by DRAC cards
using telnet over their NICs.  The same NICs used in my bonded config on
the OS so I assumed it was on the same network path.  Perhaps I assume
incorrectly.

Desired effect would be survivor claims service(s) running on
unreachable node and attempts to fence unreachable node or bring it back
online without fencing should it establish contact.  Actual result was
survivor spun its wheels trying to fence unreachable node and did not
assume services.  Restoring network connectivity induced the previously
unreachable node to reboot and the surviving node experienced some kind
of weird power off and then powered back on (???).

Ergo I figured I must need quorum disk so I can use something like a
ping node.  My present plan is to use a loop device for the quorum disk
device and then setup ping heuristics.  Will this even work, i.e. do the
nodes both need to see the same qdisk or can I fool the service with a
loop device?  I am not deploying GFS or GNDB and I have no SAN.  My only
option would be to add another DRBD partition for this purpose which may
or may not work.

What is the proper setup option, two_node=1 or qdisk?

Chris