[Linux-cluster] Cluster service restarting

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 20:40:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:28:48AM +0930, David Schroeder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been running web and database clusters successfully for several
> years on RHEL 3 and 4 and we now have one of each on RHEL 5.
>
> The setup is very straight forward, 2 nodes active/active with one
> running the webserver the other the databases.
>
> We have found the services restart in place regularly, up to 2 or 3
> times a day sometimes. The cause is the Failure to ping one or another
> of the clustered service IP addresses and is evident from the log
> entries. This happens less frequently on the database server with one
> clustered interface than it does with the webserver that has 5. The
> failure to ping that is reported in the logs for the webserver is not
> always on the same IP address and it seems quite random in time and
> which in which IP address it reports is at fault. There are no load
> related issues as this is still in the testing stage.
>
> I have turned the "Monitor Link" setting off and it still happens.
>
> Are there any settings that will increase the timeout as I'm sure the
> interface does not go down.
>
> Any other pointers or suggestions?

You can disable the check; remove these from /usr/share/cluster/ip.sh:

        <!-- Checks to see if we can ping the IP address locally -->
        <action name="status" depth="10" interval="60" timeout="20"/>
        <action name="monitor" depth="10" interval="60" timeout="20"/>

Update your /etc/cluster/cluster.conf's config_version and redistribute
the configuration file using ccs_tool update.  This will cause rgmanager
to stop doing the 'ping' checks.

-- Lon