[Linux-cluster] Very poor performance of GFS2

Tom Mornini tmornini at engineyard.com
Mon Jun 25 07:19:01 UTC 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 11:48 PM, Jordi Prats wrote:

> I supose you say so because the disk could be slow, but it should
> not be this slow because they virtual machines and they are
> accesing the same way as is the local disk. (Both are LVM volumes)
>
> I found almost no documentation about how to install GFS2, so I'm
> assuming I did something wrong. I supose GFS2 do not add about 5
> minutes of delay because of it's operations!

I think you're right. GFS2 is *supposed* to be faster than the
original GFS, and here's what I get.

ey00-s00001 data # pwd
/data

ey00-s00001 data # time du -hs postgresql-8.2.4/
76M     postgresql-8.2.4/

real    0m0.061s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.050s

ey00-s00001 data # df -Th
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 reiserfs    2.0G  783M  1.3G  39% /
udev         tmpfs    512M  120K  512M   1% /dev
shm          tmpfs    512M     0  512M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1      gfs    227G  128G   99G  57% /data

--
-- Tom Mornini, CTO
-- Engine Yard, Ruby on Rails Hosting