[Linux-cluster] RHEL Problem: Can't access LUNS

isplist at logicore.net isplist at logicore.net
Thu Mar 1 01:16:36 UTC 2007

Is there anyone on this list who can make a suggestion to RH??? I've been
asking about this for some time now and have no idea where to turn.

I've been working with Qlogic on my LUN problem for a couple of weeks or so. I
posted asking about this here but it seems that there aren't any answers here
either.

The problem is that I need to install RHEL on fibre channel storage volumes. I
cannot find a way of doing this from the installer. Once the OS is installed I
can see them but that's of little use.

In order to see the volumes which I need to gain access to, I need to install
RHEL and then do the following;

Edit /etc/modprobe.conf
options scsi_mod max_luns=256 dev_flags=INLINE:TF200:0x242
mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`
Reboot;

Then all volumes on the storage device (32 of them) can be seen by the server.

The problem is with the Red Hat scsi layer, not with the Qlogic driver. That
is apparent by the fact that the devices can be seen by the HBA BIOS.
Ultimately this needs to be answered by Red Hat - how to pass "max_luns=xxx"
to the scsi layer during the OS installation.

Or, if someone could explain how I might be able to build a custom install
disk, that might work also. Perhaps I can pre-install the code needed so that
anaconda can see all of the volumes?

Mike