[Linux-cluster] GFS directory freezing unexpectedly under pressure ...

tam_annie at aliceposta.it tam_annie at aliceposta.it
Sun Nov 4 14:51:43 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,

    when my GFS (v. 1) filesystems experience some heavy load (ex.
vmware virtual machine OS installation, oracle rman backup using gfs
filesystems as flash recovery area), they "freeze" unexpectedly.
    More precisely, not the whole gfs filesystem freezes, but only the
directory interested by the load: I can't even ls the contents of that
directory, everything interesting it seems to hang hopelessly. I can't
find any related errors in my logs; cluster utilities output (clustat,
group_tool -v, cman_tool nodes) looks absolutely normal ... (no fencing
is occurring): I can even go on working on the other directories of the
same gfs!!!
The only way out I've found is to restart the cluster. I can reproduce
deterministically the problem, but I don't know how to debug it.

   I noted that the problem arises on both my 2-node and my 1-node
cluster, either when I mount gfs with 'noquota,noatime' or not.

   Your help is my hope:
   thank you in advance!
   Tyzan

Linux xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jul 10 06:39:17 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lvm2-cluster-2.02.16-3.el5
kmod-gfs-0.1.16-5.2.6.18_8.1.8.el5
gfs2-utils-0.1.25-1.el5
gfs-utils-0.1.11-3.el5
cman-2.0.64-1.0.1.el5
rgmanager-2.0.24-1.el5

[root at orarac1 ~]# gfs_tool gettune /share
ilimit1 = 100
ilimit1_tries = 3
ilimit1_min = 1
ilimit2 = 500