[Linux-cluster] I give up

James Chamberlain jamesc at exa.com
Thu Nov 29 17:31:01 UTC 2007

As with many things, I think the devil in that quote is in the details.
Failover domains are not required for the cluster to run *at all*, but I
think they may be required for the cluster to behave as you'd like.

For example, if I wanted to have multiple front-end nodes serving a GFS
filesystem, with a load balancer out in front of the cluster to redirect
requests, I wouldn't need a failover domain.  Every node would be mounting
the GFS filesystem, so there wouldn't be a service I'd need to fail over to
anywhere.  However, if I wanted to run a web server on one node and have it
migrate to another node if the first one failed, then I would need a
failover domain.

Regards,

James Chamberlain