[Linux-cluster] GFS profiling result

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Thu Sep 13 14:32:28 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007 16:02:24 David Teigland wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 09:14:29AM +0200, Marc Grimme wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> > you might also want to have a look at:
> > http://www.opensharedroot.org/Members/marc/blog/blog-on-dlm/red-hat-dlm-_
> >_find_lock_by_id/oprofile-analysis Perhaps you have something to add there
> > as well.
>
> Thanks, this is great information.  In this case it's the size of the
> "lkbtbl" hash table that you could try increasing.  By default it's 1024,
> I might start by trying 2048 and see what changes.
We already increased it to 4096 ;-) on our testsystem (both lkt and rsb) and
see way better results!!! Profiling results will follow.

> This is, of course, all driven by the number of locks that gfs is using.
> It would be interesting to see what that number is.  Over the last several
> years, since we originally picked the size of these hash tables, the size
> of gfs fs's and the amount of memory on machines has grown quite a lot
> (the VA Linux machines I was using when first writing this code had 256 MB
> of memory.)  So, the number of locks in a gfs cluster has grown, too.  It
> may be time to increase the default sizes of these hash tables.
Or to grow the hash tables if the lists on the tables get too long?
This is quite expensive but still the id finding would stay O(sizeof(list)).

> Another problem is the way the dlm creates and uses lock id's.  This isn't
> quite as simple to solve.  Because the lock id's are only 32 bits, the
> counters easily wrap around, which means that whenever a new lock id is
> chosen, we have to search all existing lock id's to prevent duplicates
> (these searches are per hash chain).  There may be a smarter technique we
> could use to do this more efficiently.  One idea I've had is to keep a
> list of deleted lkb's and recycle them -- this would mean that we don't
> often search for a new lock id after the system has run for a while.  A
> tree structure instead of a hash table may also be helpful.
I think the shorter you keep the lists in the hashtables the faster the search
would be.
But thats up to you.

--
Gruss / Regards,

Marc Grimme
Phone: +49-89 452 3538-14
http://www.atix.de/               http://www.open-sharedroot.org/

**
ATIX Informationstechnologie und Consulting AG
Einsteinstr. 10
85716 Unterschleissheim
Deutschland/Germany

Phone: +49-89 452 3538-0
Fax:   +49-89 990 1766-0

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen
Registernummer: HRB 168930
USt.-Id.: DE209485962

Vorstand:
Marc Grimme, Mark Hlawatschek, Thomas Merz (Vors.)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Martin Buss