[Linux-cluster] Using GFS and DLM without RHCS

Danny Wall Danny.Wall at health-first.org
Tue Apr 1 16:45:28 UTC 2008

Danny Wall wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to run GFS on several machines with
> shared GFS LUN, but not use full clustering like RHCS. From the FAQs:

> First of all, what's the problem with having RHCS running? It doesn't
> mean you have to use it to handle resources failing over. You can run
> it all in active/active setup with load balancing in front.

I was looking to minimize everything as much as possible, so if it is
not needed, do not install it. This would reduce problems with updates
and overall management. Having said that, your solution is still a
better alternative for my needs, and options like this are what I am
looking for. Thanks

> If this is not an acceptable solution for you and you still cannot be
> bothered to create cluster.conf (and that is all that is required),
> you can always use OCFS2. This doesn't have a cluster component (it's
> totally unrelated to RHCS), but you still have to create the
> equivalent config, so you won't be saving yourself any effort.

> Gordan

OCFS is out of he question. OCFS can not handle the number of files and
directories on these servers.

I don't technically need a cluster, but the cluster filesystem allows me
to have multiple servers with access to the storage at the same time,
reducing downtime, and allowing for processes like backups to run on a
different server and not overload the server used by the end users. If I
can implement this without the cluster, it will reduce complexity. Some
of the problems I have seen recently include the cluster failing to
relocate resources, and not properly fencing a node.

Thanks
Danny

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it,
and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views
or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender
is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.