[Linux-cluster] Using GFS and DLM without RHCS

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 19:27:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 00:06 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Danny Wall wrote:
> > I was wondering if it is possible to run GFS on several machines with a
> > shared GFS LUN, but not use full clustering like RHCS. From the FAQs:
>
> First of all, what's the problem with having RHCS running? It doesn't
> mean you have to use it to handle resources failing over. You can run it
> all in active/active setup with load balancing in front.

Well, the direct answer is you don't need rgmanager (failover stuff) at
all to run GFS.  GFS is a client of the cluster infrastructure, and
really, it's a peer of rgmanager (though you can use rgmanager to mount
it if you want).

You do, however, need to run the cluster infrastructure stack
(openais/cman/dlm/fencing/etc.) to run GFS on multiple nodes if those
nodes are accessing the same software.

-- Lon