[Linux-cluster] Is there a fencing agent I can use for iscsi ?(GFS and iSCSI)

Alex Kompel alex.kompel at 23andme.com
Fri Apr 4 17:29:09 UTC 2008

2008/4/4 Maciej Bogucki <maciej.bogucki at artegence.com>:

> jr napisał(a):
> >> I was wondering if anyone has written a iscsi fencing agent that I
> could use. I saw one written in perl that ssh'd into the node and added an
> iptables entry in order to fence the server from the iscsi target. It was
> from 2004 and didn't run correctly on my machine.  Does anyone have any
> ideas? Or should I try and salvage the one I found and fix it up? Thanks.
> >
> > if you need to use it (as suggested in that other reply), i'd make sure
> > it doesn't connect to a node but to the iSCSI target and adds the
> > firewall rules there :) or even better if you have a managed switch in
> > between where you can simply disable the ethernet port (or even better,
> > have iSCSI on a separate vlan and remove the port from that vlan) via an
> > ssh script or maybe snmp or whatever.
> > enjoy,
>
> Another option is fencing via power device fe. fence_apc, fence_apc_snmp
> but You would need tu but APC hardware. Fenceing via fence_ilo,
> fence_rsa. fence_ipmilan is the option if You would have IBM, Dell or HP
> servers. You could also try fence_scsi without any costs, but it doesn't
> works if You had multipath configuration.

I second that: fence_scsi should work pretty well if your target supports
SCSI-3 persistent reservations. It does not make much sense to use multipath
I/O  for iSCSI since channel bonding provides the same functionality
nowadays.

Also, if you have 2-node cluster then you can configure quorum disk on iSCSI
volume as a tiebreaker .

-Alex