[Linux-cluster] How can I re-assign cluster id

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 11:44:16 UTC 2008

Pedro Gonzalez Zamora wrote:
> Dear Christine
>
> I have set <cman cluster_id="1470"/> and I trying again but I get this
> error:
>
> cman: unable to set cluster_id
>
> Could you tell me please more about cluster name hash, how it works and
> how can I change the values?

It sounds like you must have a rather old RHEL4 installation - the
cluster_id changing code has been in there for a very long time now.

The 'trick' to making the cluster names hash to unique values is simply
to make the names very different really. Avoid long, similar, names that
end in numbers for example.

> 2008/8/5 Christine Caulfield <ccaulfie at redhat.com
> <mailto:ccaulfie at redhat.com>>
>
>     Pedro Gonzalez Zamora wrote:
>
>         Dear all
>

>         I have two clusters each cluster has two nodes, the first
>         cluster1 starts ok but de second cluster2 can't start because it
>         gets the same cluster ID that cluster1 and I don't know why??
>         I have set diferent cluster name in cluster.conf.
>

>     It's probably that you've hit a weakness with the cluster name hash,
>     it's not perfect by any means. Your options are to change one of the
>     cluster names so that they hash to different values or (easier) add
>
>     <cman cluster_id="XXX/>
>
>     to one or both of the cluster.conf files to force a different
>     cluster ID number.
>

>     Chrissie
>
>     --

Chrissie