[Linux-cluster] cman_tool flags: dirty follow up question

Brett Cave brettcave at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:42:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

After upgrading the RPM's on Centos5, i get Flags: Dirty on cman_tool
status. Found a post on this list from May just before I joined. A
follow up to this topic.

Chrissie: It's a perfectly normal state. in fact it's expected if you
are running services. It simply means that the cluster has some
services running that have state of their own that cannot be recovered
without a full restart. I would be more worried if you did NOT see
this in cman_tool status. It's NOT a warning. don't worry about it :)

Prior to upgrading my cman and gfs-utils, I was getting "flags: ". The
cluster is not running any services other than the internal fence and
dlm ones (cman_tool services shows fence only).

There was an update to cvs last year September where the flag was
added, so I'm guessing that this might resolve the issue. (Think by
Chrissie again).

Don't quite understand "This node has internal state and must not join
a cluster that also has state" description of dirty flag though, does
this mean that because the node is part of a cluster it has state? And
that only a stateless node can join a cluster with state? (or if the
cluster doesn't have state, then the node will be the first one in the
cluster to start up...).