[Linux-cluster] GFS upgrade questions

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 08:05:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Kadlecsik Jozsef wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>
>>> We are planning to upgrade our stable - but relative old - GFS1 cluster to
>>> the new version of the stable branch. However as this will be our first
>>> GFS1 upgrade, it's pretty unknown to us and there are some questions about
>>> it I'd like to ask:
>>
>> Could you be more specific from what version of the software you want to
>> upgrade to what version?
>>
>>> - Is it possible to upgrade the machines one by one from GFS
>>>  (cman/fencing/dlm/etc.) point of view?
>>> - Is it possible to upgrade the machines one by one from the background
>>>  dependencies (openais, clvmd) point of view?
>>> - What about an upgrade from a non-corosync-dependent setup to a
>>>  corosync-dependent one?
>>> - Should we watch out any new cluster configuration option?
>>
>> I'll be able to answer those questions in details, once you can be more
>> specific.
>
> This is cluster-2.02.00 with openais-0.80.3.

So your best upgrade path is to get latest openais-0.80.X serie and
cluster-2.03.xx.

You should be able to upgrade one node at a time without issues. If it
doesn't work as expected it is a bug so please make sure to notify us
ASAP.

Upgrade path to a corosync based cluster is not working yet because
corosync is not on wire compatible with openais at this point in time. It
will be before 1.0 release. Note that cluster-2.03.xx stable cannot run on
top of corosync and that cluster-3.0.0.alpha1 is well.. alpha stage and
can be buggy.

So to answer all your questions (assuming you will go 2.03.xx):

>>> - Is it possible to upgrade the machines one by one from GFS
>>>  (cman/fencing/dlm/etc.) point of view?

Yes.

>>> - Is it possible to upgrade the machines one by one from the background
>>>  dependencies (openais, clvmd) point of view?

Yes.

Assuming you are using a distribution such as Fedora, both will come down
together. You will need to rebuild the GFS kernel module manually
(depending on the distribution)

>>> - What about an upgrade from a non-corosync-dependent setup to a
>>>  corosync-dependent one?

No. This is not an option for you at the moment.

>>> - Should we watch out any new cluster configuration option?

It is always a good idea to look at possible new options by looking at the
changelogs.

Fabio