[Linux-cluster] GFS upgrade questions

Kadlecsik Jozsef kadlec at mail.kfki.hu
Thu Dec 18 08:43:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

> > > Could you be more specific from what version of the software you want to
> > > upgrade to what version?

> > > I'll be able to answer those questions in details, once you can be more
> > > specific.
> >
> > This is cluster-2.02.00 with openais-0.80.3.
> >

> So your best upgrade path is to get latest openais-0.80.X serie and
> cluster-2.03.xx.
>
> You should be able to upgrade one node at a time without issues. If it doesn't
> work as expected it is a bug so please make sure to notify us ASAP.

We plan to upgrade in the mid of January, first starting with a backup
node. So if something goes wrong with that single node (and bringing
it up does not affect the other parts of the cluster) it won't be
critical. I'll report if the node won't join smoothly to the cluster.

> Upgrade path to a corosync based cluster is not working yet because corosync
> is not on wire compatible with openais at this point in time. It will be
> before 1.0 release. Note that cluster-2.03.xx stable cannot run on top of
> corosync and that cluster-3.0.0.alpha1 is well.. alpha stage and can be buggy.

I see, thank you indeed for clarifying that difference between
cluster-2.x.x and cluster-3.x.x.

> So to answer all your questions (assuming you will go 2.03.xx):

> Yes.

> Yes.
>
> Assuming you are using a distribution such as Fedora, both will come down
> together. You will need to rebuild the GFS kernel module manually (depending
> on the distribution)

> No. This is not an option for you at the moment.

> It is always a good idea to look at possible new options by looking at the
> changelogs.

That's reassuring, thank you Fabio!

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlec at mail.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary