[Linux-cluster] GFS upgrade questions

Fabio M. Di Nitto fdinitto at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 08:00:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Diego Liziero wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you are running RHEL or CentOS, you have no reason to upgrade.
>>
>> the RHEL packages and the STABLE2 branch (cluster-2.03.xx) receives the same
>> set of bug fixes.
>>
>> The main (and only) difference are the kernel modules. What comes with
>> RHEL/CentOS is built for that kernel/release combination while
>> cluster-2.03.xx follow upstream kernels (2.6.27 at this point in time).
>>
>> Upgrading from what CentOS/RHEL to corosync/cluster-3.0.0.alpha1 has the
>> same problematics as described before.
>>
>> Fabio
>
> Thanks Fabio for your clear explanation.
>
> I was thinking about this upgrade just to see if the "two nodes" case
> was better handled.
>
> Here first we had to add a quorum disk, and despite this, we were
> still having some troubles when rebooting (done with a reboot command
> from a shell):
> rgmanager waiting forever while stopping, services not migrating to
> the second node, fencing not starting when the other node is powered
> off (clean_start="1" and power fencing)...
>
> Adding a third node _seems_ to have solved most of them, though.

A lot of work has been done to fix the two node case. The code is in
RHEL53 branch already and it will be part of the next RHEL update. Yes the
same code is already in the stable2 and stable3 branch.

My strong recommendation is to be patience and use the official updates
when available.
Unless you are running a test cluster, I generally discourage people to
use manually built packages for production.

Fabio