[Linux-cluster] GNBD/GFS/cluster questions

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at qlogic.com
Thu Jan 3 21:27:28 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com on behalf of Chris Picton
Sent: Thu 1/3/2008 4:06 PM
To: linux-cluster at redhat.com
Subject: [Linux-cluster] GNBD/GFS/cluster questions

Hi all

I have a question regarding gnbd and clustering.

I currently have two servers (store1 and store2) sharing a block device
(/dev/sdc) via drbd.

The 'Primary' server exports this device via gnbd, and the export fails
over along with the drbd primary node.
A third server (gfs1) imports the gnbd device (which is part of an lvm)
and mounts a gfs2 filesystem on it.

I currently do not want to run drbd in primary/primary mode, as I have
read that there are potentially some performance issues with this.

I have written two custom scripts to handle the drbd and gnbd resource
failover.

If I am not going to mount the gfs2 filesystem on store1, or store2, can
I create a 'private' cluster between only those two machines, with their
own dlm, or do all of the other machines (only gfs1 in this example)
which will be mounting the gfs filesystem have to use the same dlm, and
be part of the same cluster?  If I were to share the drbd device via
iscsi, then I see no need for the importing devices to even be aware
that the device is being exported by a cluster of machines - does this
hold true for gnbd as well?

Is there any benefit of have *all* my servers in the same cluster, or
can I split them up into smaller logically separated clusters.

Eg, if I add another two servers, with a failover gnbd export, do they
also have to be part of the same global cluster, if they will be sharing
the gnbd device into the same clvm?  Or can they have their own
'private' cluster between themselves as well?

Regards

Chris