[Linux-cluster] fcntl locking lockup (dlm 1.07, GFS 6.1.5, kernel 2.6.9-67.EL)

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 22:09:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 16:59 -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 15:47 -0600, Kevin Anderson wrote:
> > Sorry, Lon gave me updated info about the MSA500.  It isn't a parallel
> > shared scsi bus configuration, so might work with gfs.  However, we
> > have never run with it before and not sure about the performance
> > characteristics.
>
> It's a multi-port SCSI RAID array, but it's not a multi-initiator
> parallel SCSI bus (which absolutely does not work with GFS: ex: Dell
> PowerVault 220S).
>
> The MSA500 has an on-box RAID controller with multiple SCSI ports, which
> are attached using SCSI cables to CCISS controllers in the host
> machines.  While CCISS are host-RAID controllers, as I understand it,
> when talking to MSA500 arrays, they act just like dumb SCSI controllers
> (that are 10x the cost of regular dumb SCSI controllers, of course!) -
> and do nothing "intelligent" at all - leaving it up to the MSA
> controller to handle all the RAID operations.

Hmm, I have an archaic G1 -- apparently the MSA500G2 comes with two
plain-Jane SCSI controllers:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/san_arrays/msa500g2/index.html

"Two Ultra320 SCSI adapters included in MSA500 G2 package - no
additional HBA purchase necessary"

More important, however, is:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/san_arrays/index.html

(Particularly - Note the "Dual Ultra320 SCSI Channels")

Also in the FAQ:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/storage/disk_storage/msa_diskarrays/san_arrays/msa500g2/qa.html#9

"There is a market that is not currently being addressed by current SCSI
JBOD or SAN products. There are limited products that offer such high
availability features such as failover controllers on the storage
enclosure and battery backed cache in an entry level product. The
Modular Smart Array 500 G2 addresses this market head-on offering the
entry level clustering and shared storage at an affordable price."

So, in *theory* - the MSA500G2 should work, but as Kevin said, we have
not tested it with GFS.

-- Lon