[Linux-cluster] Graceful recover after connectivity failure

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at telkom.net.id
Tue Jan 15 01:48:36 UTC 2008

Cliff Hones wrote:

> While I can see that in a controlled production environment the
> loss of a server node may be best handled by a forced (power)
> reboot, it does seem unfortunate if this has to be done in,
> say, an office environment when communication has been temporarily
> lost eg while rearranging n/w cabling.

AFAIK the prequisite for a cluster of any kind (be it RHEL or RAC) is
that you have a failure-resistant network. This can be achieved for
example by using dedicated heartbeat switches or cross-cables (in case
of two nodes), plus ethernet bonding (in linux) for redundancy.

While I understand your requirement, I don't think an environment with
(possibly) unreliable n/w is a good place for a cluster. Perhaps a
simple thin client is more appropriate.

Regards,

Fajar