[Linux-cluster] Graceful recover after connectivity failure

Cliff Hones cliff-lc at cliff.hones.org.uk
Tue Jan 15 14:51:02 UTC 2008

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> AFAIK the prequisite for a cluster of any kind (be it RHEL or RAC) is
> that you have a failure-resistant network. This can be achieved for
> example by using dedicated heartbeat switches or cross-cables (in case
> of two nodes), plus ethernet bonding (in linux) for redundancy.
>
> While I understand your requirement, I don't think an environment with
> (possibly) unreliable n/w is a good place for a cluster. Perhaps a
> simple thin client is more appropriate.

We actually have two areas in which we wanted to use GFS - one is an
office environment where the network, while not unreliable, is subject
to occasional reconfiguration as machines/switches are moved.  The other
is a datacentre environment where the infrastructure should be resilient.

In both cases, our primary need for clustering is to enable GFS to be
used.  Our local office setup could dispense with GFS/clustering and
we could use other data sharing solutions such as NFS; however, we
were planning to use a common solution so as to minimise maintenance
costs and maximise our familiarity with the technology.

-- Cliff