[Linux-cluster] architecture discussion -- NFS clustering with iSCSI

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 25 17:22:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, James McOrmond wrote:

> gordan at bobich.net wrote:
>>
>> By and large, none. GFS is fairly unique in the way it does things. The
>> rest of the world hasn't really caught up yet. ;-)
>
> what exactly does it do that's unique?

I appear to stand corrected as per the other post, with SGI and IBM
offerings that do similar things, but providing shared r/w access to a
common physical volume isn't exactly common.

>> I'm not sure why OCFS keeps coming up, since it's not a normal, general
>> purpose file system. It's only useful for putting Oracle DB volumes on it.
>
> ocfs2 is a general file system and has been available for quite some time
> (and is very easy to setup).

Fair enough. The documentation I had read on it seemed to imply otherwise,
which is why I went with GFS. I cannot say that I am in any way regretting
that choice. :-)

Gordan