[Linux-cluster] architecture discussion -- NFS clustering with iSCSI

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:02:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:22 AM,  <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, James McOrmond wrote:
>

> > gordan at bobich.net wrote:
> >>
> >> By and large, none. GFS is fairly unique in the way it does things. The
> >> rest of the world hasn't really caught up yet. ;-)
> >
> > what exactly does it do that's unique?
>
> I appear to stand corrected as per the other post, with SGI and IBM
> offerings that do similar things, but providing shared r/w access to a
> common physical volume isn't exactly common.
>
> >> I'm not sure why OCFS keeps coming up, since it's not a normal, general
> >> purpose file system. It's only useful for putting Oracle DB volumes on it.
> >
> > ocfs2 is a general file system and has been available for quite some time
> > (and is very easy to setup).
>
> Fair enough. The documentation I had read on it seemed to imply otherwise,
> which is why I went with GFS. I cannot say that I am in any way regretting
> that choice. :-)
>
> Gordan

Well, I am having a heck of a time wrapping my head around how
clustering and gfs are related.  My application is an N+1 type of
configuration (grid computing).  I don't need any application
clustering that cluster suite offers.  I just need a file system that
they can all mount in read/write.  I might just have to get a couple
of RHEL5 boxes up and going to fully understand this.  Is cluster
suite and gfs included in RHEL5? Or how does that work?