R: [Linux-cluster] Homebrew NAS Cluster

Brandon Young bkyoung at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 18:16:59 UTC 2008

Yeah, similar question to the first responder ... Is your intent to have
shared disk space between all the ESX servers?  To support live migrations,
etc?  If so, then ESX server has a built-in filesystem called vmfs, which
can be shared by all the servers in the farm to store VM images, etc.  We
use it at my place of employment.  It's just SAN disk volumes shared by all
the ESX servers.

If you're looking for common storage to be shared and accessed among all the
virtual machines, then an NFS farm might be what you're looking for; maybe
it's unnecessary, though.  I have a GFS storage cluster where four machines
export the same data to user land.  Actually, I have one server handling all
the user space NFS needs (about 50 clients), and it isn't even breathing
hard.  I have two other NFS servers facing an HPC cluster with 300 client
machines.  I also have a Samba server serving out all this same data to user
land, too, and it is underchallenged as well, with perhaps 100 clients.  So,
depending on how much traffic you would need to sustain, it may not even
require a cluster of NFS servers to achieve your goals.  If that's what you
need, though, then a homebrwed NAS solution where the data is stored on a
clustered filesystem is certainly an option worth considering.