[Linux-cluster] Homebrew NAS Cluster

Andrew A. Neuschwander andrew at ntsg.umt.edu
Tue Jul 1 18:35:39 UTC 2008

My setup sounds similar to yours but with a SAN for all the underlying
storage.

I have a large FC SAN (might be cost prohibitive for you), and three
physical (Dell PE1500s) servers. Two of them are running ESX 3.5 and one
is running CentOS. The ESX Servers share a chunk of SAN using VMFS3. The
rest of the san is shared by all three physical servers. I have a
handful of virtual CentOS servers to which I've installed the shared SAN
luns via raw device mapping (with the scsi bus' set in physical sharing
mode).

I then put the physical and virtual CentOS machines in one GFS cluster
to share the san (using a custom fence script). While this all works and
is in production, the performance isn't what I'd like. Locking calls by
the virtual centos machines really slow things down, especially when
running samba on a vm. I think it's the nature of GFS being exacerbated
by all the abstraction of ESX. It takes quite a bit of tuning.

The biggest caveat for ESX users is that putting a virtual machine's
scsi bus in physical shared-bus mode, disables DRS and VMotion. You
can't live migrate these machines. The HA feature still works well though.

-A
--
Andrew A. Neuschwander, RHCE
Linux Systems/Software Engineer