[Linux-cluster] RFC: updating cluster.conf

S. Zachariah Sprackett zac at sprackett.com
Mon Jun 23 19:50:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM, David Teigland <teigland at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're looking into how cluster.conf updates should be done in future
> versions and we'd like some feedback about how you currently do this, and
> what you'd like to see.
>
> 1. How often do you update cluster.conf?  ("Never" would be valuable

  feedback.)

Infrequently, we pretty much only update it as we grow or shrink the
cluster.

> 2. What changes do you make?  e.g. add nodes, change fencing settings,
>   add or change rgmanager settings.

We add and remove nodes.

3. How do you currently update cluster.conf?  Cluster online or offline?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  ccs_tool?  conga?  What do you like and not
>   like about the method you use now?

We have a product that ships to customers and uses RHCS for clustering
support.  Our config files are generated on each node and we've had problems
in the past with the current system of using the cluster.conf not only as a
configuration file but also as a config cache.  We'd like a mechanism to
allow us to generate the configuration files and then manually tell each
node to move to them.

4. How would you like to do updates to cluster.conf in the future?
>   Conga (graphical management interface)?  Command line program that
>   updates /etc/cluster/cluster.conf on all cluster nodes?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  Other?

We'll continue to do it as we do above, so from your perspective, you can
count us in the manual camp.

5. Would you like to use an LDAP server?  All cluster nodes would read
>   cluster.conf info from the server; updates would just be made on
>   the server.

This adds a dependency on an external server or will cause undue pain in
trying to keep the LDAP databases in sync if running on the nodes.  From our
perspective, this sounds like a regression.

-z