[Linux-cluster] RFC: updating cluster.conf

Dave Costakos david.costakos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:55:56 UTC 2008

Thanks for asking :-)

1. Daily -- or multiple times daily in our Xen VM clusters.  I have the
config_version property though, I'd like to see that gotten rid of so I
don't have to worry about going over the limit.

2. Generally it's adding/changing services.  Adding of nodes/fencing
settings happens, but much, much less frequently

3/4.  I wrote a python script to update the XML automagically, then use
ccs_tool to propagate the update.  It would be nice to have an API interface
for changing the cluster config from custom tools (like shell scripts or web
interfaces) if that's possible.  Though I should say that the python script
I wrote was pretty stupid as easy, I'm just concerned about cluster.conf
format changes and how that will affect my tools.

5. I would not like to use LDAP.  My experience in general with OpenLDAP is
poor and it seems poorly documented.  Moreover, it implements a single-point
of failure for the cluster configuration.  I like having hte cluster
configuration stored on each node.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:16 AM, David Teigland <teigland at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're looking into how cluster.conf updates should be done in future
> versions and we'd like some feedback about how you currently do this, and
> what you'd like to see.
>
> 1. How often do you update cluster.conf?  ("Never" would be valuable
>   feedback.)
>
> 2. What changes do you make?  e.g. add nodes, change fencing settings,
>   add or change rgmanager settings.
>
> 3. How do you currently update cluster.conf?  Cluster online or offline?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  ccs_tool?  conga?  What do you like and not
>   like about the method you use now?
>
> 4. How would you like to do updates to cluster.conf in the future?
>   Conga (graphical management interface)?  Command line program that
>   updates /etc/cluster/cluster.conf on all cluster nodes?
>   Manually scp to all nodes?  Other?
>
> 5. Would you like to use an LDAP server?  All cluster nodes would read
>   cluster.conf info from the server; updates would just be made on
>   the server.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave Costakos