[Linux-cluster] RHEL 3: no quorum for 3rd node

Karl Podesta kpodesta at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon May 19 15:30:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:00:54AM -0400, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> Well, it /should/ just work.  Maybe there's something that was missed,
> like adding an entry explicitly to /etc/hosts.
> It drops the connection attempt if the message subsystem key doesn't
> match - which is why I asked about md5sum.  Also, it's strange that
> cluqourumd would not work but clumembd did - they use the same code.
> Maybe the other daemons on the existing cluster nodes didn't reload
> correctly (service clumanager reload may have fixed it?).
> What release of clumanager was it ?
> -- Lon

Well I followed procedure as directly from the manual, and before 
adding the node I scp'd over /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, /etc/groups 
etc., made relevant changes, and made sure disk mounts were accessible 
and service software could run OK. Then I added the node through the 
GUI Cluster Config tool on one of the existing nodes, saved, copied
/etc/cluster.xml to the new member, and started clumanager. All nodes
immediately listed the 3rd node in clustat, it's just that the 3rd
node couldn't list services, and instead had the quorum error above. 

All nodes were RHAS3, the two existing ones had been built with 
Update 2, but were kept updated, the new node was built with Update 7
to recognise new hardware and was also updated via RHN prior to 
adding cluster services. It is possible that just restarting clumanager
on those 2 nodes may have fixed it, but just in case this would affect
running services we scheduled downtime, then just brought all the nodes 
down and back up again. 

Version of clumanager is 1.2.28-1, redhat-config-cluster is 1.0.8-1

I did think it odd alright, clumembd was definitely running...

Thanks & regards, 

Karl Podesta
Systems Engineer, Securelinx Ltd., Ireland

More information about the Linux-cluster mailing list