[Linux-cluster] Oracle locking on GFS

Jeremy Lyon jerlyon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:00:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

I was curious if anyone has run into a similar issue.

We have a 2 node cluster with a GFS file system running Oracle 10g (not
RAC).  The DB crashed and RHCS failed over the service as expected, but
Oracle couldn't start correctly because of an exiting lock on one of the
files.  We had to unmount the GFS from both nodes, then mount.  At that
point, Oracle start up correctly.

I'm assuming that the lock was in place during the crash and DLM was
honoring it and that's what cause Oracle to not start correctly.  Then by
unmounting DLM dropped all locks.

Any recommendations on how to avoid this?  Is it a good idea to set up the
GFS resource with a force unmount to avoid this scenario?

TIA
-Jeremy