[Linux-cluster] Distributed RAID

Michael O'Sullivan michael.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Nov 6 04:43:26 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I have just read that GFS on mdadm does not work because mdadm is not
cluster aware. I really hoped to build a n + 1 RAID of the disks I have
presented to the RHCS nodes via iSCSI. I had a look at DDRAID which is
old and looks like it only supports 3, 5 and 9 disks in the distributed
RAID. I currently only have two (multipathed) devices, but I want them
to be active-active. If I put them into a mirrored logical volume in
CLVM will this do the trick? Or will I have to install DRDB? Is there
any more up-to-date distributed RAID options available for when I want
to make a 2 + 1, 3 +1, etc storage array? There are some posts that say
this may be available in CLVM soon or that mdadm may be cluster aware
soon. Any progress on either of these options?

Any help on this would be great. Thanks, Mike