[Linux-cluster] RE: Fencing quandry

Hofmeister, James (WTEC Linux) james.hofmeister at hp.com
Wed Oct 15 20:45:46 UTC 2008

Hello Jeff,

RE: [Linux-cluster] RE: Fencing quandary

The root issue is the ILO scripts are not up to date with the current firmware rev in the c-class and p-class blades.

The method of '<device name="ilo01"/>' for a "reboot" is not working with this ILO firmware rev and the workaround is to send 2 commands to ILO under a single method... 'action="off"/' and 'action="on"/'.

I had tested this with my p-class blades and it was successful.  I am still waiting for my customers test results on their c-class blades.

...yes this is the root issue to the ILO problem, but it does not completely address your concern.  I believe you are saying: That the RHCS does not accept a "power off" as a fence, but is requiring both "power off" followed by "power on".

Regards,
James Hofmeister
Hewlett Packard Linux Solutions Engineer