[Linux-cluster] cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests are on different hosts

Panigrahi, Santosh Kumar Santosh.Panigrahi at in.unisys.com
Fri Oct 24 11:59:05 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am using RHEL5.2+RHCS and configured a 2 node cluster in XEN virtual
environment for testing purpose only. These 2 cluster nodes are 2
virtual guests (p6pv1, p7pv1) and each virtual guest is on different
hosts/ Dom-0s (p6 & p7). I have already gone through the older questions
on this forum with similar problems and also the wiki page
(http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/VMClusterCookbook ).
But still I have confused a bit regarding the Xen fencing in this
scenarios.
I don't want to do any live migration here and only to do a
failover/failback services between 2 cluster nodes. I want to know
whether I have to configure fencing only between the 2 guests (using
fence_xvm) or also between the 2 hosts (using fence_xvmd) as well, where
as my cluster nodes are 2 Xen guests.

I am configuring the cluster using luci and there options are as
follows.

Fence Daemon Properties:
Post Fail Delay		- 0
Post Join Delay		- 3
Run XVM fence daemon	- tick mark selected

XVM fence daemon key distribution:
Enter a node hostname from the host cluster			- ?
Enter a node hostname from the hosted (virtual) cluster	_ ?

Can someone please help me in this regard?

Regards,
Santosh