[Linux-cluster] cluster between 2 Xen guests where guests are ondifferent hosts

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Fri Oct 24 14:09:57 UTC 2008

Santosh,

The hosts are responsible for fencing the guests, so, as far as I know
it is not possible to use fence_xvm without also configuring fence_xvmd.

In our configuration we run an "inner" cluster amongst the DomU guests,
and an "outer" cluster amongst the Dom0 hosts.  The outer cluster starts
fence_xvmd whenever cman starts.  The fence_xvmd daemon listens for
multicast traffic from fence_xvm.  We have a dedicated VLAN for this
traffic in our configuration.  (Make sure your routing tables are
adjusted for this, if needed--whereas aisexec figures out what
interfaces to use for multicast automatically based on the bind address,
fence_xvm does not.)

If your Dom0 hosts are not part of a cluster, it may be possible to run
fence_xvmd standalone.  We have not attempted to do so, so I can't say
whether it can work.

Jeff