[Linux-cluster] practial dlm usage inquiry

Nathan Nobbe quickshiftin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:56:29 UTC 2008

hi all,

my first post on this list.  say, ive been checking out dlm a little bit
lately.  we are trying to build (or leverage) a distributed lock to manage
access to files mounted via nfs.  some of the folks here are telling me that
dlm is not suitable for this, however, my suspicion is that the dlm is
independent of a filesystem.  is this accurate?  for example i imagine the
code could ask for a lock on a given resource, and then if it acquires a
write lock, modify the file.  am i way off base here?  just trying to get my
footing before investing too much time in the wrong approach...

tia,

-nathan